Saturday, August 16, 2008

Bargain Avenues Blog: Offering honest opinions about area auctions




Geez... Seems I’ve stirred up a bit of talk in the community for those in the local auction biz!

It’s clear to me that these concerns are based upon blind reactions by those who have little understanding of what a blog actually is...












--------------------------------

What’s a blog?

Here’s what blogger.com says:
A blog is a personal diary. A daily pulpit. A collaborative space. A political soapbox. A breaking-news outlet. A collection of links. Your own private thoughts. Memos to the world.
--------------------------------

In response to those who may believe I am hurting their auction business by posting information... for example, news about the lack of bidding on the part of buyers in a tighter economy, please understand that as a blogger, I do not make the news. I simply post my opinions on current happenings in this public forum.

This is a personal blog. Simply put, it’s my personal platform online serving eastern Connecticut bargain hunters.

As a whole, this blog is a collection of my own impressions on alternative shopping venues and bargain shopping in general. Realizing that most of us who buy secondhand tend to regularly resell for profit, I discuss selling opportunities as well. Although my focus area is eastern Connecticut, because those who read my postings are obviously online, it can’t be overlooked that the Internet plays a huge part for opportunities available. For that reason, I include commentary on what’s happening on eBay and other online venues too. Positive or negative.

Here’s the important part: I have no agenda. I receive no benefit for endorsements. I have nothing to do with paid advertising what-so-ever. I have no preference for one venue over another. Anyone in the business or anyone who dabbles as a hobby is invited to send me their news, information, photos and updates anytime. If you send me more information, your business is likely to get more exposure. My writing here consists of reflections of personal experiences, what I see and hear about town, and what I have learned from reading and research. I also cover current news topics and reactions related to the subject matter as well.

So, just as a restaurant reviewer may write publically about their own impressions of a meal served at any particular establishment (positive and negative), if I attend an auction and it’s evident that the quality of merchandise isn’t all that great, I might discuss it here. If I think people aren’t buying or sellers aren’t making enough, I’m likely to ask a few others in attendance for their views, gather my own thoughts, and write about why that might be.

While oftentimes my announcements of upcoming events and reporting of positive experiences are likely to be highly beneficial for these businesses, I do not put out positive or negative information as a favor to anyone. It's simply a service to the community.

My blogging is NOT for any kind of personal gain. I blog because I enjoy the hobby of secondhand buying and selling myself, AND I love to write! Putting out my honest reflections should demonstrate to readers that my opinions are useful and have merit.

The result should be favorable in the long run... Quite possibly, the next time I blog about an auction that’s coming up with lots of great, high quality merchandise, my readers will trust my opinion and want to show up!

.....

No comments: