Sunday, September 14, 2008

Photos! What’s it like to sell at the 4th Annual Mammoth Moosup Neighborhood Yard Sale?


This was an experience! Yesterday was my first time selling at an event like this, the 4th Annual Mammoth Moosup Neighborhood Yard Sale. My sons helped for three straight days in preparation, setup and sales. We’re doing it today too!

I had more stuff out on the front lawn than I ever realized I had in storage! Because of the overnight rain, we waited to set up very early on Saturday. It was still dark outside.

I had three big tables and 4 shelving units for displays, plus numerous bins positioned throughout the selling zone. As expected, a few early birds showed up before we were really ready, and as the crowd came upon us, I wasn't even set up completely. And while I wasn’t able to leave my post for more than a minute here and there, a couple of runs back into the house, and I realized there were a few forgotten items that didn’t quite make it outside for starting time.

The crowd was heavy & steady up until 2:00 or so. I sent my boys out to get a pizza by early afternoon since we hadn’t a moment to eat earlier, and we were starving by then!

Here are a few photos of the day:

My three sons were great helpers!!


Some of my best sales for day 1 were a carnival glass footed bowl, a box lot of audio books on tape, and a new-in-the-box tire clock! Numerous shoppers browsed around and picked out an assortment of items, on which I am always eager to make a deal!

One disheartening discovery... At certain times, we were so busy that I wasn’t able to keep a careful eye on everybody. I realized later while cleaning up at the end of the day that an item was stolen: a gorgeous hand-blown art-glass garden ball. Sad.

However, today is a new day! Lots of great deals will be offered as I’m giving it another shot — just to clean up as much as possible of what’s left. C’mon by and say "hi"!!

...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found the prices a little on the high side around 11:00am. Didn't see much buying where I was. Next year I hope people mark prices on their items. I think it makes sales quicker when you know about what the person wants for something. Otherwise, found a leaf sweeper that made my hubbie happy.

David said...

Looks like a great party! That's too bad about the theft - not cool. Now that the wave of excitement has passed, do you think you'll sell again next year?