Sunday, March 2, 2008

Your old socks may be worth a bundle!

Would you ever guess that your old socks might be worth more than a brand new pair?? On eBay, that’s very likely to be the case.

You might imagine, as a Mom of five, I’ve done a lot of laundry. My oldest is 21 now, and I still haven’t solved the mystery of how so many socks get lost in the process. While sorting and folding clean clothes, I usually end up with a few singles. I toss them into a bin, in the hope that the other will be found and matched up later. Inevitably, after some time, I have a full bin of single and out-gown socks.

I hate to throw useful things away. Being a creative and resourceful individual, I wondered if maybe a scout troop or arts & crafts teacher might have a need for a pile of clean old socks. I thought... maybe they could make sock puppets?

I questioned whether such a lot would sell at all, but I figured it was worth a try. So, in my apparent naivety, I put up a lot of about 100 loose socks on eBay. They were of a mixed up variety of all kinds, colors, and sizes. I placed them under the ‘craft supplies’ category.

Immediately a bid came in at my starting price of $9.97. To my surprise, the lot eventually brought $33.

While I won’t speculate who’s buying or why, you can come to your own conclusions. Once I researched others selling previously worn socks online, it appears that this practice does effectively tap into a niche market.

Completed auctions for used socks on eBay


And, if that’s not enough to make you wonder... Check this out.


This morning, while reviewing completed auctions for previously worn socks to create the screenshot above. I came across this auction! Not only is Michael Jackson’s ranch going up for auction, but his socks are too?

No comments: