Sunday, May 25, 2008

Do some people really run out of gas all the time??



Something unusual happened yesterday. It illustrates how high gas prices are affecting the lives of all of us on an individual level.

Jeff and I, along with our four-year-old daughter, Katie, spent time in Rhode Island yesterday visiting Roger Williams Park Zoo. Rhode Island is my hometown (Yup — all of it!) and we stopped at Gregg’s Restaurant in Warwick for dinner on our way back, since it offers the most incredible desserts you can imagine, and it also brings up childhood memories for me. (I often ate there with my family when growing up.) The extra reason for stopping there was to pick up a special dessert to take along to a cookout.

As we left the restaurant I was getting Katie into her safety seat, and a woman approached, almost in tears. She said she ran out of gas, and she was so embarrassed... but could we please give her a few dollars for gas.

I don’t know... but I was immediately suspicious. I quietly nudged Jeff, and suggested caution. I remember hearing of a recent scam in the news where this this scenario was played out.

Well, he reached into his pocket and pulled out a few dollars. As we settled into our seats, I saw the woman cross the street and open her rear passenger door. She reached inside and pulled out a gas can.

I thought that was odd. For someone who unexpectedly ran out of gas, she already had a handy gas can. Plus, there was a gas station right there too.

Now, I don’t know... maybe she can’t make ends meet, and she runs out of gas all the time.

Or maybe she approaches 16 people a day in that parking lot and fills her tank? Anyway, I’ll give her the benefit of doubt.

Just as a side note, I saw the highest gas prices yet over at the Plainfield Shell station on Friday -- $4.29 a gallon for regular!! At least in RI, you can get a little more for the money. Most places there are still just under the $4.00 mark.

To compare gas prices at various stations, check out GasBuddy.com.

Enjoy your Memorial Day activities, and remember and honor all those who have died in American wars!

No comments: